Saturday, October 18, 2008

Must Sleep Earlier

It's been a long time since I've posted hasn't it. These days, I don't get much to myself. My dad came for a visit a couple of weeks ago and he's been doing my head in. Every few minutes he'd call me either to fix something up for him or to have me listen to one of his lectures. Some of his lecture are however quite useful. He talks to me about how I should run the farm and how I should act in front of others. The most recent note was to not suck my own blood in front of the people at the plantation because it's considered filthy and religiously forbidden.

I've been watching how he deals with farmers that don't do as they're supposed to. He uses a technique that involves gathering a bunch of farmers together intimidating the one at fault, having the others agree he is wrong and then have that one admit he is. And then dad would take some kind of decision that could involve receiving assurances from the elder farmers or forgiveness in light that the one has admitted he is at fault.

Some things don't change, even though I'm waking up at around eight in the morning my dad still complains that I wake up too late.

3 comments:

Maury said...

I don't think his habit of tongue lashing one farmer in front of others is productive. In the military,it's a big no-no for an officer to admonish another officer in front of enlisted men.

Anonymous said...

Maury,

I think this is one of those cases where what works with military might now work with Iraqi farmers. Petraeus, I believe, had to learn a new set of skills when dealing with the Iraqis and trying them to get them to join him in his efforts.

*

Anonymous said...

Shaggy,

Nice to hear from you again. It's a good thing that at least some of your Dad's lectures are worth listening to.

*