Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Got Whiskey

Was about to say that it seems that things are getting better here. A couple of days ago, a booze shop opened up on the main street in my neighbourhood. But on the other hand, the bombings have started again. That there be bombings might not be such a big deal though. I don't think the bombings are going to stop more shops from opening or stop people from going out onto the streets later into the evening. I did have a responsibility to support my new local booze shop so I bought myself a bottle of whiskey. It made me so happy to walk back home carrying that bottle in my hand.

Last week, I went along with a couple of my classmates to 'Medical City' to donate blood it turned out my blood's PCV was too high (meaning my blood is too thick or something probably because I smoke too much) and I couldn't donate. On the way back to college we stopped by a nearby hospital and had some of my blood drawn out and chucked away to dilute the blood in my body.

A couple of days ago, we went back to 'Medical City' and I was allowed to donate this time even though I was recommended not to do so because my PCV was now too low. Now I've got bruises on my arms because the nurses have such a hard time poking my small vein or artery. They frustratingly push the needle in and out and moving it all about till they find it.

Last weekend, I got to meet my cousin's finace. He's a nice guy, has a government job is about my age. We went to a nearby neighbourhood and smoked hookahs at a cafe on the main street. When we arrived the street was quite busy and shops were beginning to close up. By the time we got our hookahs and the sun was just about to set, we realised that the street was emptying. Moments later it was past twilight and we left before finishing our hookahs. But it was still cool to be out before sunset.

It was nice to hang out with this guy because I had forgotten the difference between the newer generation that make up my classmates who are all five years younger than me. I can't put my finger on it, but there is a difference. Obviously there has to be considering the different circumstances the people my age and those in my class have went through. My classmates were still in high school when the last war took place, they hadn't really had the chance to live the fun that people my age had.

We also had the nostalgic talk about how we perceived Baghdad to be prior to the war: a very boring place with nothing much to do. But, one thing was for sure though, back then the friends one had were the best.

I'm getting rather sick of Zeina these days. She's really draining my phone credit and she ain't great with the phone sex, she actually makes annoying noises when she does it and doesn't say much at all aside from "put it all in". And between the sleepless sleepovers at Kala's house, the drawing of blood, and all the rest I've been so tired lately that I can't wank more than once at a time whereas she just wants to keep on going.

I've changed a little in the way I speak these days. I've come to realise that people might be able to understand what I'm saying if I were to talk English even though they wouldn't be able to reply back in English. I did have a personal rule that I would never talk English to a person that doesn't speak it. These days, however, I've stopped caring about that rule and will interject freely in English, and leave that can be bothered to figure out what it is I'm trying to say which more often than not is pointless dribble.

Classes have resumed at college and I've got a dreadful test next week. I forgot to get notes from anyone in my class yesterday because I missed two of the last classes for that subject. And I've got to start working on my project earnestly again. I better not get occupied this weekend. Oh but I've already made plans to go shopping for clothes and to have a friend come over on Thursday.

Some thing's wrong: I've had the same glass of whiskey in front of me for over two hours and I still haven't finished it.

4 comments:

Average American said...

Well then, DRINK UP MAN!! Nice to hera from you again Shaggy. Hopefully the violence won't heat up to bad again. Hate to see the new liquor store close or anything. Keep having fun and God bless!

Joe

Anonymous said...

Shaggy,

That's funny that you've decided to speak in English. Hey, by the way, I'm assuming all of your coursework is in MSA (Modern Standard Arabic), but that everyone around you is speaking Iraqi Arabic, right? How different are these two varieties of Arabic? And how difficult is it to learn both? And how different is Lebanese Arabic from Iraqi Arabic?

I was also wondering if Kiki is still in Malaysia and India in Sweden. Do you think these guys will return? And did Od return to Iraq?

*

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Funny that it seems you know much about Kiki, India and Od through Shaggy! heheh

Od is still in Qatar(family guy and married :P), India is living with his chick trying to learn Swedish! heheh and Kiki is ill in Malaysia..apparently hes become a guide to all our buddies who come and go to Malaysia..

Shaggy Gawad! were u been man?? yella get ready and come down to England already.. had a chat with your Dad the other still the same.. hes expecting you to run the farm in a modern business style instead of Fuzzy! High expectations dude!

say hi to nahida and fuzzy n whoever is left.. btw your blog is still the no.1 blog around the office!

Your ex-neighbour

Anonymous said...

Shaggy's Ex-Neighbour,

Wow! Od is already married? That was fast.

Well, I imagine Kiki is a pretty good Iraqi ambassador for Malaysia. The Iraqi government ought to cut him a check for his services, but it's probably not going to happen, right? I wonder if India has ever heard of Nadia? She's Iraqi and also living in Sweden. You'll see her on the blogs most every week.

So you're in England, right? That's cool. I've been to England and Scotland. Both places were great (as long as one gets to used to the constant threat of rain).

*